In 1957, The Department of Mining engineering was started, as a wing of College of Engineering, Osmania University and was shifted to Kothagudem, the town of coal industry in 1976 and it was named as Kothagudem School of Mines (KSM). It is the first mining engineering college in Andhra Pradesh.
In 1994 college was shifted from Osmania University to Kakatiya University
Presently holding the name, University College of Engineering, Kakatiya University, it is the constituent college of Kakatiya University. The two departments Department of Computer Science and Engineering and Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering were established in 1996 and PG courses M.B.A. and M.C.A. were started in the year 2001. The engineering sections like Mechanical Engineering, Civil ENgineering and Science sections like Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics are meant to cater to the needs of these courses. CSE, EEE and MCA along with library were shifted to new academic block in 2001.
The college with annual intake of 107 engineering students, 60 MBA students and 40 MCA students having qualified and experienced faculty in home to the cream of talent in this area.
Two more new courses Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) and Information Technology (INF) were added to the college from the academic year 2011 – 2012 with the intake of 60 per branch. Now the total intake for the college is 127.
The college is also having hostels for boys and girs individually in the campus. Quarters for Professors, Assistant Professors and Non-Teaching staff are also established in college campus. College campus is covered with nearly 400 Acres of area with peaceful environment and also has indoor stadium, play ground.